Sunday, April 4, 2010

Easy Cabbage Casserole

This casserole is so easy. It's also healthy and the kids didn't complain at all. That makes it a new favorite for me. This recipe showed up in my inbox via Mary Hunt's Everyday Cheapskate newsletter. The full recipe info from the newsletter is below, including the original source info. But I made a few minor changes. First, I didn't have "quick-cooking brown rice." Actually, I didn't even know this existed. So I used regular brown rice. I put a cup of rice and a cup of water in a pan and brought it to a boil. Then I took it off the heat and poured the whole shebang in my casserole dish. Also, the recipe below calls for a small head of cabbage, about 1 1/2 pounds. I could not find a cabbage that small. The one I used was just over two pounds and I went ahead and used the whole thing. That made for a full casserole dish, but not too full. I meant to add salt and forgot. I think it would have helped define the flavors a little, but it was fine without. The recipe calls for a 10.25-ounce can of tomato soup. I used 14-something ounces and I think even a little more would have been even better, but I didn't add any water to it. Finally, I sprinkled the top with shredded sharp cheddar cheese and then after it baked I added a little more and mixed it in. The cheese was an excellent addition.

Unstuffed Cabbage Casserole

This is a simple version of stuffed cabbage rolls. If you're looking for a quick one-dish meal, try this one on a busy day. You'll be delighted to have a meal complete with a whole grain, protein and vegetable. You'll save time if you double the recipe so you can have plenty for leftovers.

1 cup boiling water
1 cup quick-cooking brown rice, uncooked
1 small head of cabbage (about 1 1/2 pounds)
1 pound extra-lean ground beef or ground turkey (7 percent fat)
1 teaspoon chopped garlic
1/4 teaspoon salt (optional)
1 can (10.25-ounces) low-fat condensed tomato soup*
1/2 can water

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 2-quart covered casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray. Add 1 cup of boiling water and rice to the dish. Cover while preparing the rest of the ingredients.

Slice cabbage. In a large skillet that has been sprayed with nonstick cooking spray, stir-fry cabbage until limp. Add the cabbage to the casserole dish.

Brown meat with garlic and optional salt in the same skillet used to stir-fry the cabbage. Spread over cabbage.

Mix soup with water. Pour over all, and gently stir to mix. Cover and bake for 55 minutes or until rice is cooked and cabbage is tender. Serves: 4.

Note: One serving is an excellent source of fiber.
Nutritional Information:Serving Size: 2 cupsCarb Servings: 2**
Exchanges:
1 1/2 starch, 2 vegetable, 3 lean meat,
1/2 fat**Nutrient Analysis: calories 336, total fat 10g, saturated fat 3g, cholesterol 71mg, sodium 416mg, total carbohydrate 36g, dietary fiber 6g, sugars 6g, protein 27g
*Sodium is figured for reduced sodium.**Half of the grams of fiber have been subtracted from the grams of total carbohydrate when figuring Carb Servings and Exchanges.

Source: Quick & Healthy Volume II, © 2009 Brenda J. Ponichtera, R.D. Published by Small Steps Press, publishing health conscious books for the general population, a division of the American Diabetes Association; retail $18.95. To order call 1-800-232-6733 or visit QuickandHealthy.net. Also available at local and online bookstores.


2 comments:

  1. "...the kids didn't complain at all," a recommendation that warms every mother's heart, LOL. But since my DH isn't too crazy about cabbage, he may like it too. Sounds yummy to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, I'm not really a huge fan of cabbage either. It's not awful, just kind of...meh. But even though I had an entire head of cabbage in this casserole, the cabbage sort of disappeared into the other ingredients. It was really good! I've requested, from the library, the cookbook the recipe originally came from and will report back after I've tried a few more recipes. I could really use a cookbook full of recipes as easy as this one and which my family will eat without complaint.

    ReplyDelete