Sunday, April 25, 2010

Favorite Shortcut Products: SOC Organic Tikka Masala Sauce

If you've been reading here for a while, you know that I have a lot on my plate and not much time to spare. Converting to a better diet has been challenging enough without the added food prep time. As such, I've been on a constant search for shortcut products that help me feed my family better, with less time in the kitchen. Seeds of Change has a line of simmer sauces that I really like a lot. There are four of them; although oddly, the ShopRite where I find them locally only carries three. We use the Tikka Masala sauce most often. It is a mild curry sauce. Usually I add chicken and serve it over brown rice. But I did just notice that SoC has a recipe for Butternut Squash Tikka Masala on their website that looks intriguing.

In addition to Tikka Masala, there's nice Korma sauce, Jalfrezi, and Madras. We found the Madras sauce too hot for us. The Jalfrezi is referred to as a medium-hot curry sauce (as opposed to the red hot Madras and the mild Tikka Masala) and would probably be popular at my house. Too bad we can't buy it here! I also like the Korma sauce, which is a mild coconut curry. Unfortunately, The Girl is not a fan of coconut, so we don't have it often.

Each jar contains only 12 oz. of sauce, but stretches nicely with the addition of chicken. I think I remember the jar saying it contained three servings. We do tend to split it three ways here and have it as the main course of our meal. But it would go a lot further as a side dish if you have more mouths to feed. I don't consider this cheap; it goes for about $4.50 a jar. But it is really nice to have in the pantry for nights I either don't have time or energy to stand around in the kitchen. If you've tried similar healthy shortcut products, I'd love to hear about them!

No comments:

Post a Comment